Monday, January 12, 2009

The Illusion

Chicago has the best theater entertainment - small and large scale. I saw this terrific play last night. One of the things I have been doing with my extra time is taking advantage of the opportunity to usher with the SAINTS organization in Chicago. They are a non-profit volunteer organization that began in the 70's. It started with a small group of people who volunteered to usher with the now defunct St. Nicholas Theater (hence the name SAINTS) and expanded over the years to over 80 venues in the Chicago area. You join, you choose the venue and dates and submit and cross fingers. If you get in your request - you then usher and then see the production for free. It is very cool. Usher with friends! I have been doing this since July and I have seen the Joffrey Ballet, Chicago Symphony, and about 12 plays. Ushered in the Auditorium, the Symphony Center, Navy Pier Shakespeare Theater and the other theater venues. All for FREE. Did I say for free? Really -How great is that? When you consider the price of tickets -
I ushered for the production of Grease at the Auditorium last week and you could not pay me to go back and sit through that again. I got talked into going and generally I am not a fan of most big musical Broadway type of productions and wow this really stunk. "It featured" some guy from American Idol - forget his name, I had no idea who he was - but gotta say he sang one song and that was it - false advertising!
~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~

No comments: