Saturday, September 7, 2013


"No one else but you can make your marks. Listen to your bones. Speak with your spirit. Edit with your head. Live with your heart." ~S.Holland

I've not written for this blog in several years. But after reading what Brigette Guerzon Mills wrote in her one of her latest, very inspiring posts, I write because, I began to think about how I use words. I decided to reopen my long neglected blog if for no other reason than to make a commitment to myself to write. The question now is, why do I write, why should I write. The answer for me,  is because by taking the time, time to think about what it is I have to say to the world, I may use this time to play with words. How I may better articulate my scattered, bounding thoughts into something that I can shape and create into  way of better communication; getting my point across or just creating rooms where I may sink into a comfy chair and explore their meanings and how they serve. The crunch of them in my mouth, the sound they make as they leave.  How they form the worlds I've dreamed of but not been able to talk about.

With my photography, I create energy in time to be experienced, but it is not a distinct and precise moment. Rather a captured impression of movement, color, texture, emotion. Writing is more difficult because it forces me to spend time thinking about what it is that I am exactly, precisely saying. A good thing because I  have a tendency to be vague, quiet and unchallenged with my words and thoughts. There is a longing deep inside to create art, which I have long neglected, and I feel strongly that for me the place of beginnings is to begin to write. Words, words, beautiful words. As Bridgette would say. Use them carefully, use them with abandon or savoring the meanings and sounds. But however I use them, more importantly, I create with them. Starting today.

No comments: