Thursday, June 19, 2008

Emily Dickinson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#443

I tie my Hat—I crease my Shawl—
Life's little duties do—precisely—
As the very least
Were infinite—to me—

I put new Blossoms in the Glass—
And throw the old—away—
I push a petal from my gown
That anchored there—I weigh
The time 'twill be till six o'clock
I have so much to do—
And yet—Existence—some way back—
Stopped—struck—my tickling—through—
We cannot put Ourself away
As a completed Man
Or Woman—When the Errand's done
We came to Flesh—upon—
There may be—Miles on Miles of Nought—
Of Action—sicker far—
To simulate—is stinging work—
To cover what we are
From Science—and from Surgery—
Too Telescopic Eyes
To bear on us unshaded—
For their—sake—not for Ours—
Twould start them—
We—could tremble—
But since we got a Bomb—
And held it in our Bosom—
Nay—Hold it—it is calm—

Therefore—we do life's labor—
Though life's Reward—be done—
With scrupulous exactness—
To hold our Senses—on—



~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spent 2 days in Shipshewana, Indiana which is Amish country. We signed on for the Amish buggy ride through the country and then spent a day on an Amish farm. Horses, cows, pigs, goats and chickens. Harly, our Amish buggy driver and guide explained the traditions and lifestyle of the Amish. The weather was gorgeous with rolling farm fields and blue skies that went around 360 degrees, just like the inside of the proverbial overhead humongo bowl. Walking into the barn, I was smacked with the pungent scent of hay, essence of farm animal, sweat, manure, and my mind flooded with happy memories from childhood of time spent at my great-grandparents farm, as a cow drooled really sloppy strings of long, mucous-like drool all over my arm. Ahh! Greeeeeeeeeeeeeen acres is the place for me. Farm livin' is the life for me. Land spreadin' out so far and wide, keep Chicago city just give me that countryside!!! (chortle, chortle)
The Amish are hard workers - most are farmers and the farming involves intense physical labor for the whole family. The retirement age is 55. Harly explained he retired and then travelled to all the states save Hawaii. He missed working, so he returned to work as a driver. Bible verse quoted to us by Harly -

"Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2)


__



-