I took a separate class from my metalsmithing classes - this is a type of solder that is akin to stained glass making. The solder comes in the form of "rope" and is heated with a much smaller torch ( I used my handheld butane torch used for making my creme brulee) and applying the liquid to the burnished copper taped frame around the glass slides. The liquid solder adheres to the tape and the solidifies. This method is a technique that I can do at home - the soldering involved in metal to metal is something I can only do at the lab since it involves a much higher temperature using large tanks and torches, not so practical for my home or budget. This is my first piece - I am still learning how to fashion wire and incorporate it into pieces, the wiring and solder on this first piece got fused together but still looks good I think.
This has been such a great summer! The weather has been stunning with mild temperatures and virtually no humidity. I am wrapping myself in the beautiful blue sky days and breathing deep of the fresh air fragrant with the smells of summer!
2 comments:
These are very cool. It looks like two different pieces though. How big are they?
And I would love "no humidity."
it's one piece, both sides are collages under glass. It's about 2inches long and a little too big for a pendant, so my next pieces will be smaller. Thanks. :)
Post a Comment