Thursday, October 1, 2009

Valley Ridge Workshop with Misty Mawn!
























Misty Mawn Painting in progress
http://www.mistymawn.typepad.com/



below - a portrait by me















painting by Misty Mawn











Sally, me, Sue






Lookee - I'm painting a face!






A Misty Mawn mixed media painting in progress







This is how I spent 2 days last week. My head is still spinning with all the techniques I learned. Click on the link to see more photos. My sister Sally, on the left and my friend Sue on the right, filled up the car with our art supplies and drove 3 hours into Wisconsin to the Valley Ridge Art Studio for a 2 day mixed media workshop with the fabulous artist Misty Mawn. That area in Wisconsin is beautiful - with rolling hills, steep ridge, lush farmlands and countryside. The Studio is at an old farmstead and the buildings have been renovated and updated to accommodate overnight visitors in guesthouse with separate buildings for the workshops and for dining. Kathy is a warm and gracious hostess and we felt at home immediately. Misty Mawn is a wonderful artist and the best teacher, just look at the 2 portraits I painted under her guidance - first time for me for me to do something like that! It is a mystery to me how I created that or where it came from. It was a process that seemed to just flow from my paintbrush . Look at the 3rd photo of me painting a portrait under her patient tutelage! Who knew I could paint like that?? I highly recommend signing up for any of her workshops - she teaches at several venues across the country - the 4th photo is a demo piece being created by Misty on creating backgrounds, collage and then painting into it. Being creative is soo much fun. Thank you so much Misty Mawn.