Tuesday, December 2, 2008

C.S. Lewis

Am I the only one who has not read the Chronicles of Narnia? Even adults I know have read these books. Which brings me to the Mercury Theater production of The ScrewTape Letters that we saw Friday night. Good thing that I asked about the book beforehand, otherwise it would have taken a bit to put it all together - Now I'm know much more knowlegeable about CS Lewis -

I found the production dry and rather long, maybe this became more pronounced because it was so HOT in the theater - the whole play was a monologue, the only relief his assistant, who slithered and screeched around the stage at points of tension. I found it a revealing glimpse into C.S. Lewis's mind: how he viewed the devil as being quite real and an active, daily presence in human lives, determined to win our minds over to his side in an unacceptance of Christianity by distracting us away from thoughtful dialog and reason- by the "mundane"matters of every day life. Then having claimed victory, to dine ravenously on our souls. Despite it being rather long in places, I did enjoy the production -

__________

No comments: