Choose
When I left the desert
things changed quickly. Everything
turned quite green and grew, blooming
profusions of colors. Scenes changed.
Curtains went up and then down, revealing
movie star's babies, abundant parking spaces
and I, downloading new tunes and oh the sales!
Aisles in well lit modern caverns displayed
containers and boxes holding goods
in 5 pound, 10 pound, half ton amounts.
I can barely recall quartz rocks, hidden springs, bees.
I slip into an empty chair crammed in a crowd
in the noisy neighborhood bistro, elbow resting
on a friend's designer handbag.
Talk is of far off wars or honeycrisp apples.
The daily menu is written with curlicued
flourish on black chalkboard and it offers
japanese beer, grilled salmon, french cheeses
or crablegs flown in from Alaska.
A diamond bracelet showers sparkles.
The air hovers, it's clingy.
The sky is cloud filled and inky.
Raindrops turn to sharp needles
that stab me. Prickly like
the sparse desert where I never bled
always walking towards the clear horizon.
Division of earth and heaven,
true line between beauty and need,
soil and redemption.
~~~
_______________
No comments:
Post a Comment