Saturday, February 21, 2009

Shadows

photo by Tim Walker
___
I am crazy over puppets - any type - hand puppets, marionettes, finger puppets, hand shadows, Indonesian shadow theater, silhouette puppetry. I think this love affair derives from my childhood when one day my dad brought home a 5 foot cardboard puppet theater- which was so amazing as we were not a poor family but on a family limited to a budget not suited for such extravagances as -wow-a puppet theater!!-I think our eyes must have popped right out when dad walked through the front door lugging this cardboard contraption. My grade school hosted an annual puppet show put on by some company - I have looked for information on the company but have yet to find it - shows that used marrionettes - lush, detailed costumes and lovely painted faces - "Beauty and the Beast" Sleeping Beauty" Pure magic!
I then became interested in shadow puppetry after seeing "Year of Living Dangerously" with Mel Gibson. Mel Gibson was to die for but the shadow silhouettes took my breath away -
Here is a link to a San Francisco Company Shadowlight that stages live shows.

No comments: