______________
Conference call yesterday with Alison W, the Earthwatch expedition coordinator and an Earthwatch corporate manager, Anna J along with a member of Team I (who just completed the 2 weeks) and a group of folks from Team II and III (me). A lot of questions addressed - how much money to bring - not much is needed because Starbucks pays for everything except for the tax to leave the country which is 26 dollars cash. Or colones, I forget how many.
More importantly, the person from Team I filled us in on her suggestions based on her experience of the expedition - Bring a daypack to the fieldwork, because we are definitely going to work! And it will be out in the coffee fields, on a steep slope and hiking for up to 5 miles/day. Bring water. Wear at least 30% Deet and sunscreen and also bring a rain poncho and rainpants or gaiters as the rains start promptly at 2 pm and we will be still working - Wear sturdy, waterproof ankle supported boots as the slopes are very steep and slippery, not the Wellingtons as recommended in the briefing. Also tissue paper or Kleenex because there are no bathrooms in the coffee fields.
I'm trying to brush up on my Spanish because we will be doing a lot of interacting with the co op farmers and we will be invited into their homes to have dinner with them and their families.
I'm quite excited. This will be a vacation totally unlike anything I've experienced before -
Starbucks has put up a blog for the Teams as they experience their time in Costa Rica. Team I, which was made up of Starbuck employees just went home and Team II leaves at the end of July. I leave on Aug 25th -
Click here for the Starbucks/Earthwatch Volunteer Blog:
http://www.earthwatch2.org/Starbucks/